Chat Script 2


• Click here to join the chat •

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Eastern Phoebe nest update

About a month I ago, I chatted about a nest under the deck of my house, which has been there for at least 10 years, being washed out by the heavy spring rains. The eastern phoebe who built it lost 3 very young chicks. I reinforced the support under the nest and gave her a copper roof to prevent the rain from getting to her nest. She rebuilt in a jiffy and I believe has a new brood! (click on the pics to enlarge)

It's very dark up under the deck where the nest is ... peering up there the past few days I thought I saw one beak. Today, I went down to the basement door, camera in hand, with flash engaged. Imagine my surprise when I downloaded these pics and saw four babies!! Phoebe is awesome. She was quite mad that I was near her nest. (And I hope I didn't freak out the babes too much.) I calmed her down by sprinkling some mealworms between the bushes behind "her" bench in the garden. I love to watch her grab them up, fly up to the bench to check for intruders, and then fly into the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment