Chat Script 2


• Click here to join the chat •

Friday, June 7, 2013

Animal Sex: The Cloacal Kiss — and the Snapping Turtle

In “The Sex Life of Birds, and Why It’s Important,” appearing in The New York Times Science section on 6/6/13, Carl Zimmer says research on the vanishing bird penis is important. Click here to read.

Meanwhile, at GhentArt’s “wildlife preserve,” another interesting animal reproductive event is taking place. A snapping turtle has decided that my gardens are a good place to lay her eggs. I discovered that these turtles will venture over a mile to find a suitable spot to lay; my garden is about 150 yards from a pond across the street and 300 yards from a pond behind my property. I also learned that female snapping turtles have a special duct that can keep sperm alive for up to three years, which allows them  to fertilize their eggs at any time, with or without mating. They lay up to 80 eggs at a time! Perhaps I'll have a bale of turtles heading to one of the ponds in nine to 18 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment